Monday, 11 May 2015

Rowling: the inspiration of my dreams

I am going to start off with Harry Potter, the number one favourite of almost half the world. 

To those Harry Potter fans- you guys already know about it. Even so, I'd like to discuss some more about it here. 

The best thing about Harry Potter, as I believe we ALL might agree is that we have been give a place to go to and the most amazing thing about it is that even though it is possibly as imaginative as it can get, there is an uncanny reality about it that just cannot be overlooked. I mean King's cross station? Hogsmeade, being the only wizard village around? How much more real could it get?

Another thing about it and, once again, it cannot be denied, is the character of Severus Snape. J.K Rowling made him he very object of our hatred and then EVERYTHING changed in the last few chapters of the last book. I personally was left aghast that someone so good outed his real personality only after he was a dead man. I mean, DAMN! 

And then, we have three most talked about deaths- Dumbledore, Dobby and Fred. I needed a personal minute of silence after Fred died. Dobby and Dumbledore- I think I dealt with that pretty good, but Fred dying? the inseparable twins separated by death? I mean come on! Even the boggart that Mrs. Weasley confronted showed Fred and George dead but TOGETHER. One was left with a permanent hole and the other-a permanent absence. There was only one other character I had cried over that could challenge how much I had cried over Fred ("L" from Death note, for those who want to know).

Probably the most interesting fact about the whole of Harry Potter is that even though we have been given an entirely different world, the resemblance of it to the world we live in is omnipresent. The politics, the press, the "snatchers", the greed- none of it is any different from what we live in. She has kept our world alive in it and yet created the wizarding world. She took and ancient idea and turned it into something so strikingly believable and happening that we start questioning whether witches and wizards really are non-existence after all. 

AND THEN, we have the famous terms she has coined- muggles, bowtrucles, boggarts and what not. I mean, where did she even come up with each of these? Of course she had a full seven years to work over it but DAMN! That is some clean stuff she has concocted. Most writers, as I have seen, manage to leave loose ends- parts where you don't really know what happened but not Rowling, no. She has been careful to cover each end, round off all the corners, smooth-en all the rough edges, you know. That really is admirable. 

After all she has done, after all the wonderful works, she goes and says "I just want to be remembered as someone who did the best she could". I so admire that woman. I tried sending her a letter once, handwritten, but clearly, our mailing system cannot deal with that kind of responsibility, if you know what I mean. 


I sure as hell plan on having the same footing as her one day. I guess I just need to give the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment